Used for correcting angular limb deformities in foals which are a deviation from the normal alignment of the limb when viewed from either in front or from behind. Front limbs are more commonly affected, but it can also be seen in the hinds.
Most common deformities occur in the knees (CORPUS). The second most common are ankle (FETLOCK) deviations. The hock (TARSUS) is the third most common and is associated with the term 'Windswept', an abnormality where limbs are slanted in one direction
in one limb (valgus), and in the opposite direction (varus) with the other.
(Varus = medial or inward deviation, & Valgus = lateral or outward deviation)
Lateral Extensions for Correcting Inward (Varus) Deviations:
• 'Toed In or Pigeon Toed' = Fetlock Varus (Ankle).
• 'Bow Legged or Offset' = Corpal Varus (Knee).
• 'Bowed Hocks' = Tarsal Varus (Hock).
Medial Extensions for Correcting Outward (Valgus) Deviations:
• 'Knock-Kneed' = Corpal Valgus (Knee).
• 'Cow-Hocked' = Tarsal Valgus (Hock).
Optimal correction requires early application with a window from birth to 2 months due to early physeal (growth plate) closure.
Please note this shoe has little to no effect on valgus rotational deformities. This deformity often appears to be an outward deviated fetlock which is extremely rare in developing young horses.
Reasons for Use:
• Easy to apply (adjustable).
• Dramatic results when used early.
• Enhances dynamic stability.
• Relieves stress on young bones.
• Minimizes hoof and joint distortion.
• Remove shoes as recommended to avoid unwarranted pinching effect.
• Re-setting or reusing the extension is NOT recommended. There is a felt liner inside the cuff that acts as a release membrane so that when you remove the cuff it does not pull at the hoof wall.
• Size #1 = Fits foals 1 - 6 weeks, maximum foot width 3''
• Size #2 = Fits foals 6 - 12 weeks, maximum foot width 3 1/2''
• Size #3 - *NEW Product has aluminum Plate - Maximum Foot Width 3.75"